Any recipe where you put milk on the stove, I tend to mess up. Rice pudding I have made in the past has not gone so well, so I tried this recipe and it actually worked!!! Rice pudding is a traditional Portuguese dessert sometimes called sweet rice. Its cheap to make and very tasty! Tjhanks Family Foodie!
4 cups of water
zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 tsp of Salt
2 cups of long grain white rice
2 cups of hot milk ( I used whole)
1 1/4 cup of sugar
5 egg yolks
Cinnamon to decorate top.
1. In large saucepan, bring water, lemon zest, butter and salt to a boil.
2. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes or until almost all the water has been absorbed. ( It only took 15 mins for me!)
4. Add Hot Milk
5. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add sugar until absorbed.
7. In separate bowl beat the egg yolks and add a few tablespoons of the rice mixture to temper eggs.
8. Add the egg mixture into sauce pan/
Let rice continue to simmer for about 10 minutes until thick.
Serve in a 9×13 pan and dust or design cinnamon on top!