I had this in a restaurant a few weeks prior and knew that it would be a simple recipe for me to duplicate. I had a yucky head cold, and wanted to make something to cure me. I am pretty certain this did the trick. I recruited a friend my Uncle Joe. We walked over to Uncle Joes house and he cut up all the ingredients, he was so speedy at it. He did all the prep work, and thats where most of work lies in this one. Next time I make it, I may use the instant potatoes because my aunt says thats what all the restaurants use anyways.
- 4 tablespoons
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 quarts cold water ( I used room temperture chicken broth)
- 6 ounces linguica sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 pound kale, rinsed and julienned
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has released most of its fat, 10 minutes. Drain.
- Mash potatoes or puree the potato mixture with a blender or food processor. Stir the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, 5 minutes, until kale is tender and jade green. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once.
I will def make this one again!